Last week we visited Sainte-Chapelle. It is a gothic church with unbelievable stained glass windows. We didn't get the full effect since they are currently being cleaned as part of a 40 year project to restore the church in time for the 800th anniversary of the birth of St. Louis, the French king who ordered the construction. (See
here for an article about the restoration.) Even with the construction noise and mess it was still pretty amazing.
 |
| Interesting metro stop |
 |
| Playing rock-paper-scissors while we wait to get in. |
 |
Exterior of the church. It seems strange to say, but it really
wasn't that remarkable. |
 |
We've been blaming the kids for all the blurry pictures but I'm
pretty sure Chris took this one. |
 |
| Entrance to the church. |
 |
| Ground floor chapel. |
 |
| Creepy staircase. |
 |
| Window restoration. |
 |
| Windows that haven't been restored. |
 |
| Windows that have been restored. |
 |
| This section tells the story of Esther. |
 |
| The rose window depicts judgement day. I didn't see any zombies so that is good. |
 |
Cute picture of the kids with this random lady. I don't have time
to edit and crop photos before putting them on the blog.
It is all I can do to get them on the blog! |
Next we headed out to do some sightseeing.
 |
We passed Notre-Dame on our way to
the Deportation Memorial (which was closed). |
 |
The kids wanted to walk down by the Seine rather than
on the sidewalk above. I'm pretty sure it's typically only
used by homeless people. |
 |
| A cat on a leash!?! |
The original Shakespeare and Company was a hangout for Earnest Hemingway, James Joyce, Gertrude Stein and other famous writers of the time. Today's version provides accommodations for struggling writers and a quiet place to read for visitors. We spent some time hanging out in the children's section. I found it strangely comforting to be in a store where everything was in English.
 |
| Isaac ignored the "no photographs" signs. |
 |
| Isaac found all the Harry Potter books with different covers. |
 |
| Falafel (or cucumbers on top of falafel) |
 |
This is one of the oldest churches in Paris.
We've tried to get in twice before.
Third time's a charm. |
 |
| What are Isaac and Luke doing? |
 |
| Saint-Michel |
You look Parisian! I like that Harry Potter cover. Is that the hangout from Midnight in Paris?
ReplyDeleteI think it is in Midnight in Paris. I need to watch it again now that I would recognize things. There is a French language copy in the apartment. I don't think I'm up for that.
DeleteOh and we don't look Parisian. We never will no matter how hard we try.
Delete